Have you noticed that your lawn isn’t green or vibrant? Or have you noticed that your garden doesn’t seem to produce the results that you’d like to see? Maybe your blooms are not as large or as plentiful as you would like them to be? Your garden soil may be in need of a little bit of help to give it that boost of energy it needs to be more productive, to thrive and even flourish. Soil amendments are an incredible way to give your yard or garden that boost of energy that it needs to thrive.
My list of 12 incredible soil amendments you can use to improve your garden and lawn soil may aid in your quest to improve your landscape and might be just what your yard needs. These soil amendments address various issues that gardeners may encounter when working in the yard. I’ve list 12 soil amendments, some are available in granular or liquid forms and many are all natural and organic as well.
- Sphagnum peat moss – a natural, organic soil conditioner that improves clay soil
- Composted manure – organic soil amendment that improves aeration and moisture control
- Topsoil – organic partially decomposed material provides drainage and aeration of soil
- Blood meal – organic nitrogen fertilizer produces healthy green foliage
- Bone meal – fertilizer adds phosphorus and calcium to the soil, improves flower and vegetable production
- Lime – organic supplement that reduces soil acidity and increase the soil alkaline, often used for lawns to improve growth
- Sulfur – vital mineral that improves plant growth and reproduction, increases soil acidity (great for azaleas, hydrangeas, holly)
- Gypsum – natural mineral and soil conditioner that breaks down clay soil and leads to soil aeration which in turn promotes root growth
- Perlite – all natural, used in potting soils to improve aeration, prevents compaction, and promotes root growth
- Vermiculite – all natural, used in potting soils to improve aeration for root growth, prevents compaction
- Earthworm castings – all natural, organic potting soil amendment that adds nitrogen for green lush foliage and stronger stem growth
- Bat Guavo or bat dung – all natural, organic fertilizer to add nitrogen (deep green coloring, growth) and phosphorus (plant root growth, floral blooms)
You can find many other soil amendments available that are derived from specific sources such as mushrooms, aquatic resources, organic buffalo compost, and dungeness crab harvest. These soil amendments address specific needs of the garden. My list of 12 incredible soil amendments you can use to improve your garden and lawn soil covers soil amendments that are more commonly found in most lawn and garden stores. Hopefully they can help you with any soil issues you encounter while gardening.
For additional information and specifics on soil amendments see my How to Make a Fertile Garden with Soil Amendments post.